Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Departure From My Normal 'Strobe-Centric' Work

I have grown very accustomed to all the planning, setup, and lighting that goes into the photographs I generally create - I am creating and capturing moments that never really happened. So while some photographers are amazing at capturing life's fleeting moments, others create those moments fictitiously (like me).

I wanted to challenge myself to do something different so I put my 50mm 1.8 lens on the camera and hit the streets. No setups, no models, no lights. I thought perhaps I would see a street fight or an impromptu performance or the spontaneous kiss of a couple in love. I didn't see any of those things. But I did see the two images above as I walked the streets and captured those instead. Granted, those moments weren't fleeting and the subjects didn't threaten to dash off if I hesitated, but I was able to capture them nonetheless.

Most of my work is commercial; I will call this 'art' and see if it sticks. ;-)

To see more of my work visit my commercial photography website.