Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stormy Day on Camelback Mountain

Stormy day in Phoenix, AZ - view from top of Camelback Mountain
Today was scheduled to be the second installment of Portraits at the Top (the first of which was a great success) however Mother Nature had different plans for me. It rained all night and was still raining when I got up this morning at 6:00. But by 7:00 or 7:30 it started clearing; patches of blue sky with big puffy silver and black clouds. I figured the heat of the sun would burn off most of the moisture in the sky and I would be good to go - I was wrong. Just I was approaching the peak the skies opened with fury. I was getting my ass kicked by rain and hail - the trail turned into a river and I hid for cover.

After hiking back down, a hot shower, and a hot meal the skies seemed to be friendly again - same as earlier; patches of blue with big puffy clouds. I tried to figure out where the line between 'persistence' and 'learning my lesson' was drawn. Persistence won and I headed up the mountain a second time. I got rained on again. No portraits today but this time I wasn't leaving without a photo. So as soon as there was a break in the rain I set up and snapped a few landscape shots (not my forte).

Anyway, when life gives you lemons . . .

2 comments:

Shining Windows said...

love this.

Helen Gutfreund said...

This photo makes me want to come back to Arizona. Beautiful.