Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Strobist Boot Camp II: Interior Lighting Assignment

David Hobby over at Strobist recently posted the details of the third assignment of Boot Camp II which is to create an artistic, well-lit architectural interior.

It had been a while since I photographed any interiors so for the first pass I wanted to create a 'safe shot' just to see if I still had the techniques required to create an even blanket of light within a space without creating any gnarly shadows. First pass was a success from a lighting standpoint but the image wasn't overly interesting.

For the second pass (the assignment and image above) I wracked my brain trying to think of a creative lighting technique that would result in a more interesting image than what the 'safe shot' yielded. I decided to challenge myself by lighting the entire scene with one strobe. The twist is that I decided to only light one element of the scene at a time and composite the individual results into a finished product that shows lots of light coming from lots of directions.

This has proven to be a fun exercise in experimental lighting and the finished product ended up being a composite of 10 separate images.

Strobist Info:
1 SB800 fired at specific elements within the scene over the course of multiple exposures and layered together in PS to create a finished product that has the appearance of being lit by many light sources.

To see more of my work visit my commercial photography website.

1 comment:

Virginia Smith said...

I liked your photograph alot and the punch of color in the trunk is a great design element. I am a novice trying to learn how to use flash off camera. I am enjoying seeing all the entries since I love looking at other peoples houses. Enjoyed looking at your blog as well!